Saturday 5 March 2016

A break between the clouds

With a dire weather forecast for the next 3 or 4 days I took my opportunity to go to the club lake ( shown in the picture above) after rainbow trout with the intention of taking a fish for the plate today. On arrival there were 3 anglers fishing but my first choice peg at the moment so I quickly went over and staked out my position expecting to probably not move as I only had a couple of hours or so.
I put on a white and green lure again but after 20 casts or so there seemed to be no interest - a black lure produced a similar response. I tried 20m further down the bank without success. I returned to the favourite area and tried a leather worm under an indicator followed by a squirmy but still failed to put a fish on the bank. Doesn't that always happen when you have got your bag ready to take a fish home ! I decided to try half way round from the lake from where I was - initially with the white and green lure. I had a fish almost straight away - a new stockie by the looks of it. I then caught a further 11 fish in about half an hour. The lure was getting trashed! The bend on the hook was getting straightened so I put it back in place a couple of times and I vowed to change to a fresh version of the fly when takes started to dry up but they never did. I had found the fish and what started out as a struggle turned into a fish catching fest ! If anyone would like to be my guest on the lake please get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment