Thursday 1 January 2015

First blog of 2015

January 2015 ( almost )

Well ! I've decided to create a blog for the new year. I knew I would be busy during the early days of January so I sneaked off for 3 hours on New Year's eve. I had been busy tying some grayling flies and couldn't wait to give them a go on a stretch of the river Nidd. I picked a likely looking spot where the flow was at a fast walking pace and second cast I had an out of season wild brown trout on a hares ear type pattern with a pink tungsten head. Here we go again I thought - I don't seem to be able to get through the trout to the grayling from the experiences of two previous visits with only one grayling to show. I worked down the length trying new flies with little luck. That was until I fished what seemed a featureless glide of water - well there weren't many overhanging trees. By the time I had got out of the water after wading and casting upstream I had ten grayling and two more trout, with about four more grayling shipping the hook. All of these fish were taken on a size 14 pink shrimp pattern by Davie McPhail - thanks Davie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cGSjZMJ-9cA

Hopefully I will get the blog more all singing and dancing before the end of year - maybe even up to northcountryangler standard - maybe not !

geoff

3 comments:

  1. Nice tentative start to a good Blog Spot, I'm sure. Look forward to future installments.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for my first comment on the blog Ella !

      Delete
  2. I knew you had some entertainment there, not long before you have the followers. Good Luck and ragged Flies......

    ReplyDelete