Saturday 17 January 2015

Stillwater trout

After my unspectacular start to the New Year I decided to head to my club stillwater that is stocked with rainbow trout. It was near freezing but much less windy than it had been all the preceding week. I was the only one on the lake but as you can see it was worth putting up with the cold weather as everything else seemed just right


Behind the trees is open fields and the trees seem to take an occasional battering from the elements. I set up a green and white lure to start with (seen below the reel) and took a couple of early fish which I took for the table ( members can take 2 fish per week but I take about 2 a month )


I changed my fly to an orange blob and had one more but things were getting slower and my fingers were getting colder. I bought a zippo handwarmer earlier in the week but left it home as I didn't think I needed it for a 2 or 3 hour session. Lesson learned !
I put on a bead headed egg type pattern under an indicator which I applied a slow steady pull too. In my short time of fishing the lake some movement - no matter how small - needs to be applied to the fly to get their interest. I caught 7 more fish this way and was happy to put an end to a short but very productive session when I could hardly feel my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment