Friday 6 February 2015

Mad dogs and Englishmen


It’s been exactly a week since I last went fishing and after a challenging week I was desperate to get on the bank today. The omens were good. Last night I checked the met office website and they suggested that after a hard frost and early morning sun it would cloud over nicely around midday. I went back to the Ure after chub and pike. I arrived just after 11 a.m expecting that my chub swim would have some feed in it and my lamprey would be nicely defrosted before the winter magic hour around 12 o’ clock. So I sat in the sun and waited

 
and waited ........and waited
Where were those clouds that were promised? Well they moved in slowly from the west but it would be touch and go if they arrived before darkness. I tried all the usual baits but the chub and pike were not having any of it. The tedium was relieved by the appearance of kingfisher, woodpecker and buzzard - oh and this guy who seemed to be scoffing at my dry unhooking mat.


 
Ah well ! I may try again tomorrow - probably take the fly rod out for some Stillwater rainbows. Or will it be frozen ? Better load the 4 wt rod up and my box of river nymphs for a few grayling. Hopefully it won't be bright, sunny and cold - the unholy trinity !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment