Wednesday 24 February 2016

Some clement weather at last !

Well I tried piking earlier this week on a large lake and then a small pond. The wind was strong and Ripon Racecourse lake had waves on it !! Combined with the thick weed that I our winter failed to kill off I left after an hour. I moved to a smaller, more sheltered pond and had a run on my herring deadbait. After an indifferent run and a feel of something on the end, for a while, there was nothing to pull in. Usually the sign of a take from a small Jack.
Today I tried my local trout Stillwater and even though it is still heavily coloured I can usually guarantee a bend being put into my rod. I tried the black lure that has been productive so far in the coloured water but nothing seemed interested. I decided to fish static with a squirmy worm and managed a couple after 2 hrs. This sort of return usually means you haven't quite got it right. I tried lures again, green damsel like at first but then a white and green pattern that seemed to work. I left happily after totalling 10 fish. This was the last of them
These are the two flies that were effective today

No comments:

Post a Comment