Tuesday 26 January 2016

Still muddy but still fry bashing

The new year has resulted in little fishing recently. The floods on many Yorkshire rivers have rendered them largely unfishable so my fishing has been largely confined to stillwater trout fishing. I started yesterday fishing for grayling on the river Nidd. I decided to fish a new stretch but it was a bit deep to feel comfortable wading so I fished from the bank where the bankside vegetation allowed. I tried a couple of weighted nymphs under an indicator but didn't get any interest - the river pushing through faster than normal.
I spent the second half of the day at the club trout lake. It is still heavily coloured and although the level is gradually dropping the colour shows no sign of dropping out !! So it was back to the black lure and eventually I made my way around to an area that seems to be holding a good few fish. First cast and I was into my first fish. It weighed 4lb 2oz and I took it to contribute to a fish pie next week. I decided to try the lure under an indicator set about 2ft deep. With the occasional twitch the lure must have appeared to be a stunned fish and this produced another fish. I had three in the couple of hours that I fished so considering the poor returns shown by other members recently I was happy to finish the day with a few fish.
I make my own indicators using a block of plastazote foam and double sided sellotape



No comments:

Post a Comment