Saturday 18 March 2017

Back again

Well I seem to have done less fishing in the last few months than usual and it is not that the weather has been that bad. I caught my best pike of the winter at 13 lb 4 oz from the River Ure near Boroughbridge in February after a strange start to the session. I arrived at an area that I catch pike more times than I don't and rummaged through my bag preparing to set up my two deadbaiting rods. The problem was I left my terminal tackle box at home. I had no weights, floats etc but I did have my hook traces. I had some spinning gear but decided to freeline my baits as I had electronic alarms to aid in bite detection and the pike on the stretch usually go on a run after they have picked up the bait. After an hour I had my best pike of the winter after the worst of all preparation - another lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. So now it is approaching Autumn and a fleece is preferred to a thin cotton shirt. I spent the weekend getting ready for my first barbell outing sometime in the following week. A message on social media suggested the Yorkshire Ouse was fishing well.
    I arrived at a peg I had done well on before. Three hours in to my first session and the tip pulled round to signal the capture of my first barbel of the season at 8lb 10 oz - Good start !

    ReplyDelete