Friday 10 April 2015

Better times ahead

Went down sampling for invertebrates on the stretch agreed with the EA on the Nidd. The river seems in a healthy position to me and exceeded earlier samplings I had done on the Wharfe at Pool.
In a 3 minute kick sample I estimated there were
40+ cased caddis
12 caseless caddis
9 mayfly larvae
2 bwo
50+flat bodied heptageniidae
50+ olives.
10 stoneflies
1 freshwater shrimp

The river seems in rude health from my initial sampling. I put my sampling equipment back in the car and had a few hours on the river. Things are progressing slowly. A few olives were coming off and the recently stocked brown trout were making an appearance as were several small grayling. A few fish are starting to rise to flies but the water still seems quits cold- but things still seem more woken up than my last visit 3 days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment